It's so easy to focus on the addictively decorative elements of beauty. There seems to be no end to fresh shades of lipstick, hues of eyeshadows or new trends or styles of application - and I do love them all. But with the beginning of the new year, what I'm looking forward to most is a return to basics.
For me, beauty starts long before you look in the mirror. It stems from self-confidence and a respect for how you treat yourself, both mentally and physically. So while a resolution to focus more on beauty may sound indulgent, I see it as a regrouping of the self and an opportunity to find better balance in my life.
With this in mind, my approach to beauty is all about enhancing what is already there. Below are 6 of my favorite beauty products that do just that:
1. Shiseido Luminzing Satin Face Color in Orchid: This color works on nearly every skin tone and gives a glowing, natural flush. I'll often sweep this over my lids as well in lieu of eyeshadow to brighten the eyes.
2. Smashbox 'Photo Finish' Primer & Dark Spot Corrector: This feels like silk on your skin and smooths out your complexion like nothing else. For everyday use, I actually prefer to apply it over concealer and a BB creme as opposed to under, to my entire face. That way, it smooths out what you've already put on your face, and mattifies just enough for you to skip the powder altogether for a lighter look.
3. Dior Addict Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm: This luxurious lip color gives in so many ways! Ultra emollient, the color adjusts according to your own skin chemistry for a flattering, sheer tone that is uniquely yours (not like other cheesy, self-adjusting lip products that all end up some weird hot pink color).
4. Sephora Collection Instant Moisturizer: Oil-free and lightweight with a subtle scent, this affordably priced moisturizer works like the most heavy-duty of moisturizers but without weighing down your skin or leaving you feeling greasy. It also evens skin tone and fights wrinkles and I am completely in love with it.
5. Nars 'The Multiple' Stick: Perfect for bringing attention to where you want it most. Each color has its own unique appeal, from a flush of natural color to highlighting your best features. For an easy approach, try Copacabana and apply just a touch to your brow bone, inside of your eyes, cheekbones and top of your lips to enhance what you already have.
6. Per-fekt Beauty Lash Perfection Gel: Honestly, I've never had more lush looking lashes! I have a personal vendetta against all oil-based mascaras so this gel based mascara is perfect for me. A primer, conditioner and mascara all in one, it actually moisturizes your lashes and stays put all day without flaking. It's perfect for allowing your eyes to pop without the use of eyeliner.
Since picking just 6 top products is always difficult, here are some more of my ultimate favorite products, all tried this year and loved dearly: